[BioC] 'A' mean in lmFit function in limma?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Jan 12 03:08:49 MET 2004

The Amean values are intended to give an idea of the overall expression
level for each gene.  The A-values are not used to analyze differential
expression and therefore there is usually no purpose is fitting a linear
model to them, which is what would give you the same output format as the
M-values.

If you want to see the mean A-values corresponding to the M-values for
each group, you could simply use

fitA <- lmFit(MA$A, design)

and look in fitA$coef.  Note this only works when the design matrix is a
simple indicator matrix for the RNA groups as in your example.  There are
no plans to specially support this sort of analysis in limma.

Gordon