[BioC] M vs A plot

Richard Friedman friedman at cancercenter.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 10 15:37:25 MET 2004

Dear Wolfgang,

	I thought that span was the fraction of points used in the smoothing
and had a theoretical maximum of 1. I also thought that it was not a
good idea to use all the points in the smoothing, lest the more extreme
points dominate.

	As for data quality, the slides are quite dirty with an uneven
background. I used Spot to read the slides to compensate for background
variability, Spot irregularity, and stains as much as possible. However
the non-flattening of curve may still be a data quality problem. Also,
shouldn't the dependence on total intensity (A) be removed?

	Anyway, I will try higher span values and try successive fits later
today. I will also try the 2D option. Unless you think that  what I
have described is such that flattening will not help. I can send you  a
copy of all of the printtip curves and the worst printtip curve if you
are willing to look at them.

Thanks and best wishes,
Rich