[BioC] M vs A plot

Wolfgang Huber w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Feb 10 15:56:20 MET 2004

Richard Friedman wrote:
> Dear Wolfgang,
>     I thought that span was the fraction of points used in the smoothing
> and had a theoretical maximum of 1. I also thought that it was not a
> good idea to use all the points in the smoothing, lest the more extreme
> points dominate.

Hi Richard,

See the help page for "loess", section "Details". span>1 is quite legal
and different from span=1. For a good explanation of local regression,
have a look at the book by Clive/Catherine Loader.

(And if you think that bandwidth choice in local regression is quite
confusing, you're at a point where I've been, too ...)

Best wishes
   Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Huber