[BioC] RE: quantile normalization

H. Han hihan at brown.edu
Mon Aug 30 19:06:12 CEST 2004

Hi, Mark and Jim:

thanks for answering my post. In my case, the samples are not too
different - they are from different dosage levels of the same treatment. i'm
expecting some differences between two normalization methods. Though the
actual differences are somewhat larger than expected (dozen vs a few
thousand significant genes ). One reason of course, as Jim pointed out,
"replicate only" method would pick out more false sig genes. i now think
that a particular reason that makes our difference large is number of
replicates. i have 4 replicates each condition. when i am doing "replicate
only" normalization, there is a big chance that all four have similar
quantile ranks, and hence the same expression values. this reduces st.
devation, and increases t values in general. i assume when # of replicates
become larger, the outcomes of both methods would be closer.

regards,
hillary