[BioC] RE: quantile normalization

Reimers, Mark (NIH/NCI) reimersm at mail.nih.gov
Mon Aug 30 18:01:22 CEST 2004

How different are your 'biologically different' samples? In our experience
quantile-normalizing across very different samples makes a noticeable
difference in relative expression within fairly similar samples.

Our main data is cancer cell lines from 9 different tissues, and we find
considerable differences (ie 2% of genes greater than factor of 2
different), comparing normalization within tissue-of-origin to normalization
across all samples. My opinion now is that we should normalize within
tissue-of-origin, and then standardize raw data across tissues by scaling to
constant median. However I find that RMA (1.3) gives different numbers when
I separate out the normalize( cel.data ) process from estimation ( rma(
normed.data , normalize=F)), compared with rma( cel.data).  Has anyone else
observed this?

Regards

Mark

Message: 1