[BioC] RE: quantile normalization

Remo Sanges sanges at biogem.it
Tue Aug 31 11:43:57 CEST 2004

On Aug 30, 2004, at 6:01 PM, Reimers, Mark (NIH/NCI) wrote:

> My opinion now is that we should normalize within
> tissue-of-origin, and then standardize raw data across tissues by
> scaling to
> constant median. However I find that RMA (1.3) gives different numbers
> when
> I separate out the normalize( cel.data ) process from estimation ( rma(
> normed.data , normalize=F)), compared with rma( cel.data).  Has anyone
> else
> observed this?

Yes I observed the same think.

There are more changed genes when you normalize within tissue-of-origin
instead of rma(cel.data). Now the problem is to understand if this
variability
is due to numerical of biological issue.

By the way if I well remember the first vignette of RMA suggested to
normalize
data within sample-of-origin while the next suggested to do simply
rma(cel.data).

Any comment?

Thanks

Remo