[BioC] Replicate data and p-values

Mike Schaffer mschaff at bu.edu
Fri Sep 26 13:50:36 MEST 2003

I'm fairly new to Bioconductor and had a basic question about
*recommended* steps to analyze replicate data.  I apologize if this has
been covered, but I've scoured the message archives and couldn't find
any examples to guide me.

I'd like to look at 3 biological replicates of treated vs. untreated
cells and determine p-values for over- or under-expression of each
gene.  We're using in-house spotted long oligo two-color microarrays
and scanning with GenePix.

I've read in my experiment layout, gal file, and gpr data using:
-
exp.layout<-
read.marrayLayout(fname=galfile,ngr=8,ngc=4,nsr=21,nsc=20,skip=37,ctl.co
l=6);
exp.targets<-read.marrayInfo(fname=layoutfile)
exp.genes<-read.marrayInfo(fname=galfile,labels=4,skip=37)
exp.raw<-read.marrayRaw(fnames,path=datadir,exp.Gf="F532
Median",exp.Gb="B532 Median",exp.Rf="F635 Median",exp.Rb="B635
Median",exp.W="Flags",skip=30,layout=exp.layout,gnames=exp.genes,targets
=exp.targets)
       :
       :
other filtering here
       :
       :
exp.norm <- maNorm(exp.filtered,n="s")
-

I've also generated LOWESS normalized data by spotting pin and now
would like to determine the significance of changes I see.  I've seen
limma and multtest for doing this but have been unable to determine if
these functions are compatible with how I've imported my data or how to
call them correctly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction given that I have my
filtered/normalized data from the three runs in a variable called
exp.norm?  Also, should I normalize ACROSS arrays in addition to within
arrays prior to the p-value calculation?  What syntax is used for this?

Thanks.

--
Mike Schaffer