[BioC] Quality checks / flagging

Yves Bastide Yves.Bastide at irisa.fr
Thu Sep 18 11:58:36 MEST 2003

Gordon Smyth wrote:

>>> Weights of 0 and 1 do have the effect of ignoring the log-ratios for
>>> spots with zero weight. I am not sure what you mean by "ignore some
>>> lines". Please explain further what you did and what you expected to
>>> happen which didn't.
>>

>> Oh.  I zero-weighted flagged spots and spots for unwanted genes.  This
>> resulted in about 600 genes to consider on each array, out of 4096.
>

> In my honest opinion, throwing out almost all your data from a
> microarray experiment is crazy unless you have decided that there is
> something seriously wrong with the array. If you really want to do this,
> then please use normalizeWithinArrays with method="loess" rather than
> the default. You've thrown out almost all your data so there really
> isn't enough left to expect to be able to do normalization by print-tip
> groups.

Yep, that's the conclusion I arrived to.  My basic flawed methodology
was to find differentially expressed genes in one group, then re-read
the arrays for another group, lather, rince, repeat.  Gee.

> Gordon

Thanks,

yves

PS: one question on limma.R (1.2.1, 1.2.2)
toptable, line 511: does the else apply to the right if?
         if(is.null(A))
                 if(sort.by=="A") stop("Cannot sort by A-values as these
have not been given")
         else
   (and yes, I'm a Python user)