[BioC] Quality checks / flagging

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Thu Sep 18 19:10:11 MEST 2003

At 05:52 PM 18/09/2003, Yves Bastide wrote:
>>>An even more elementary question (disclaimer: I am not a statistician):
>>>how to use these weights to make limma ignore some lines?  I naively
>>>tried with weights of 0 and 1, but it didn't work as expected.
>>
>>Weights of 0 and 1 do have the effect of ignoring the log-ratios for
>>spots with zero weight. I am not sure what you mean by "ignore some
>>lines". Please explain further what you did and what you expected to
>>happen which didn't.
>
>Oh.  I zero-weighted flagged spots and spots for unwanted genes.  This
>resulted in about 600 genes to consider on each array, out of 4096.

In my honest opinion, throwing out almost all your data from a microarray
experiment is crazy unless you have decided that there is something
seriously wrong with the array. If you really want to do this, then please
use normalizeWithinArrays with method="loess" rather than the default.
You've thrown out almost all your data so there really isn't enough left to
expect to be able to do normalization by print-tip groups.

Gordon