[BioC] Re: problems with getBioC/R

Kasper Daniel Hansen K.Hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Oct 3 12:29:17 MEST 2003

On Thursday 02 October 2003 19:40, bioconductor-request at stat.math.ethz.ch
wrote:
> From: St?phanie Mottier <		>
> Subject: [BioC] Problems with getBioC/R

> I'm trying to install Bioconductor on my iBook (Mac OS X, 256MB, 600MHz
> PowerPC G3).
> I have dowload the R version 1.7.1 via CRAN and I'm not able to install
> getBioC.
> I have got this message :
> "Error in getBioC() : Your R is not currently configured to allow HTTP
> connections, which is required for getBioC to work properly."
> What can I do?
> What is the problème with R?

As the error message states, your are not able to go online thorugh R. This is
necessary in order to install BioC, because all the packages needs to be
obtained from the web.

I'm not to familiar with the Mac, but the standard problem would be one of the
following
1) You do not have any internet access at all from your iBook. Test: Are you
able to go online with your browser? Solution: get local help from your sys
admin.
2) Otherwise you may have a problem with the firewall at your department.
Solution: get local help from your sysadmin.

The problem has nothing to do with R and BioC and eveything to do with your
local setup.

A simple way to test if it works is to issue to command
>CRAN.packages()
from within R

You may find more information on www.r-project.org (start by looking in the
FAQSs).

--
Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistent
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen