[BioC] get over it/WAKE uP and SMELL the COFFEE

Rafael A. Irizarry ririzarr at jhsph.edu
Thu Dec 18 20:24:44 MET 2003

this is likely to be a consequence of the probe effect. consider that the
log scale correlation of two affy reps is higher than .99 (with rma).
however, if for each gene you define two probesets at random (half the
probes to one probeset and half to the other) and recompute rma, the
correlation between "half probe sets" for the same genes (within an array)
drops to around 0.5. this is consistent with your finds. the log ratio
cancels out the probe effect so tests based on these will have smaller
correlations than 0.99.

this goes to
show that correlations of log
expression values is not useful as a measure of agreement. a much better
measure is the spread (iqr, sd, ...) of the log ratios. similarly,
scatterplots arent as useful as MA plots.