[Bioc-sig-seq] Illumina vs. ABI Solid

Wed Dec 23 03:02:49 CET 2009

Hi,

2009/12/22 Droit Arnaud <Arnaud.Droit at ircm.qc.ca>:
> Hi all,
>
> The institute where I currently work is in the process of buying a new HT sequencer. We are debating whether we should get an Illumina or a Solid sequencer. I was wondering if anyone of you could give me some advice in terms of analysis. As a bioinformatician using R, I am particularly interested in comparisons in terms of analysis, data manipulation/storage in R, etc. We have some experience analyzing Illumina data but no experience with Solid data.

For whatever its worth, we had someone from The Broad recently give a
talk about some work he's been doing with RNA-seq.

Near the beginning of the talk he had a slide with the number of
machines they had from each platform, it broke down to something
roughly like so (if I remember correctly):

Illumina: ~ 90
SOLiD: < 10
454 : < 10

And he mentioned that the solid and 454 machines are just basically
collecting dust.

I don't really have enough experience with either platform to draw and
judgements myself, but the guy giving the talk seemed pretty convinced
and thought it was relevant to share.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou