[Bioc-sig-seq] Illumina vs. ABI Solid

Sulev Kõks Sulev.Koks at ut.ee
Wed Dec 23 08:16:22 CET 2009

Hi,
It actually depends... I'm not so convinced on the superiority of
Illumina. In fact, I know labs where Illuminas collecting dust.

We use SOLID 3plus and are very satisfied. One very important issue
for us - SOLID is the ONLY platform what allows to preserve
strandedness. For any kind of RNA seq applications, this is actually
cornerstone for the analysis of transcriptome. Without this
information you just throw away substantial part of the data.

There is no price difference between platforms - but with one run in
SOLID you get up to 60 GB of reads. Illumina doesn't reach this yet.

So, I do not think that Illumina is better than SOLID. There are labs
who prefer Illumina, and labs who prefer SOLID. SOLID came out later
and lost a lot of market share, but this is not the reason to think
its worse that Illu.

Cheers
Sulev