[Bioc-devel] BiocCheck and version requirement

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 8 20:12:59 CEST 2021

> I believe in the past we tried suggesting removing a R dependency altogether but that R CMD check complained not having an R dependency?  Maybe someone remembers more about this.

There are no such requirements in 'R CMD check'.  The only requirement
around 'Depends: R (>= x.y.z)', if specified, is with 'R CMD check
--as-cran' that requires z == 0. In other words, you can submit a
package to CRAN that depends on a specific patch version, e.g. either
R (>= 4.0.0) or R (>= 4.1.0) but not say R (>= 4.0.2) resulting in:

* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... WARNING
Dependence on R version ‘4.0.2’ not with patchlevel 0

In the bigger picture: I argue that Bioconductor's dependency on R
version is a major, unnecessary(*) disadvantage and adds barriers
between the Bioconductor community and the rest of the R community
resulting in many lost opportunities and cross-pollination. (*) I know
the arguments, but I think there are better solutions already
available that do not enforce specific R versions on users and thereby
limit them, e.g. when they want to a single Bioconductor package with
zero dependencies in their workflow.  As a way forward, I'd suggest
that Bioconductor makes it a long-term target to make it possible for
any R user to install Bioc packages with a regular install.packages()
call - I think that can be achieved.

/Henrik