[Bioc-devel] About rcellminerData and rcellminerData new versions

Turaga, Nitesh N|te@h@Tur@g@ @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Tue Aug 25 16:40:04 CEST 2020

Hi Fathi,

So as I’ve mentioned previously, it’s impossible to go back in history cleanly on the Bioconductor git server. Like Herve explained we do this to maintain a “clean” commit history and to keep the repositories within Bioconductor as coherent as possible when we look at the logs.

I do not think you’ll be able to push these changes since both your branches have diverged so much.

You also cannot push with the “force” (-f) option. That is just not something we allow on the Bioconductor git server.

Just to make clear, when Martin said,

   The more straight-forward approach is to simply add a commit to the RELEASE_3_11 branch that undoes the changes you do not wish to publish, except with a version bump (to version 2.10.3?)

He did not mean, `git reset --hard` to a specific commit. Because of the branch divergence you’ll not be able to push. He meant, quite literally, “undo” the changes manually.

- If you added 10 lines of code in a commit, just delete those 10 lines of code from the next commit and update the version number.

I asked to see to see what happens with `git reset --hard` to see how much your RELEASE_3_11 branch has changed.

These are the steps I’d take to move forward from here,

1. git pull (to merge the remote branch)

2. <make changes in the files undoing all the code which was added>

3. Edit description file to update version number.

4. git add <files>

5. git commit -m <useful commit message>

6. git push upstream master

Notice that there is no `-f` here. Also notice that I’m not attempting to go back in time with git. I’m simply moving forward just undoing what I’ve done.

Best,

Nitesh