[Bioc-devel] InteractionSet for structural variants

Aaron Lun |n||n|te@monkey@@w|th@keybo@rd@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat May 18 04:47:06 CEST 2019

I would say that it depends on what operations you intend to perform on
them. You can _store_ things any way you like, but the trick is to
ensure that operations and manipulations on those things are consistent
and meaningful. It is not obvious that there are meaningful common
operations that one might want to apply to all structural variants.

For example, translocations involve two genomic regions (i.e., the two
bits that get stuck together) and so are inherently two-dimensional. A
lot of useful operations will be truly translocation-specific, e.g.,
calculation of distances between anchor regions, identification of
bounding boxes in two-dimensional space. These operations will be
meaningless to 1-dimensional variants on the linear genome, e.g., CNVs,
inversions. The converse also applies where operations on the linear
genome have no single equivalent in the two-dimensional case.

So, I would be inclined to store them separately. If you must keep them
in one object, just lump them into a List with "translocation"
(GInteractions), "cnv" (GRanges) and "inversion" (another GRanges)
elements, and people/programs can pull out bits and pieces as needed.

-A