[Bioc-devel] Forking out modules from existing packages as new packages

Shian Su @u@@ @end|ng |rom weh|@edu@@u
Sat Aug 24 05:31:49 CEST 2019

Hi Koustav,

My opinion on this is to split the visualisations out into a separate package but keep the functions in the existing package. Then when the new visualisation package is released, depend on it from the existing package.

It’s worth asking: Is the package actually worth splitting up? If the two packages are interdependent as a workflow, i.e. if the visualisations apply only to data produced by the specific methods, then there’s no reason to split them up.

This happens quite often in package development. The goal is to not let users of your existing package lose any functionality when installing new versions of your package because those functions went to another package.

Kind regards,
Shian
----
Shian Su
PhD Student, Ritchie Lab, Epigenetics and Development
Walter & Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
1G Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052, Australia