[Bioc-devel] Package download when using functions from affy and oligo

Joris Meys jori@mey@ @ending from gm@il@com
Mon May 14 15:15:19 CEST 2018

Dear all,

sorry for the delayed response, due to some unfortunate events I had to
prioritize my family the past week.

You find an RStudio project in a zipped folder on this link :
https://jorismeys.stackstorage.com/s/3ik0vMwsvueuT5a

It contains a script called testOligo.R that can be sourced and nukes my R
session in the second step of the rma() function. It also contains the
faulty .gz files. If you need more information, don't hesitate to contact
me.

Regarding improving general maintainability, I'm willing to help out on
that. Problem is that I'm rather behind with my own work, so I'm short on
time for the moment. I'll fork affy tomorrow (need to give class now) and
let's start from there then?

Cheers
Joris

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 5:17 PM, Vincent Carey <stvjc at channing.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> How about a google drive?  This problem of autodownloading should be
> addressed directly.
> These facilities are still important but their maintenance is clearly a
> lower priority as the
> technologies handled have diminished use in the field.  I think we should
> be able to team up and remove autoinstallation elements of these packages,
> and
> perhaps improve general maintainability -- Joris, can you pick
> one, make a github repo that we can collaborate on revising, and then
> we can start?  It will involve a deprecation process.
>
> On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Joris Meys <jorismeys at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the answer.
>>
>> I was trying to create a reproducible example before I vented maybe a bit
>> too much in my previous mail.
>>
>> I managed to get closer to the problem and it is related to data that was
>> corrupted at download. I can send you a reproducible example that bombs R,
>> but I will have to send the specific data files as well. How do I send
>> them
>> best?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Joris
>>
>> On Sat, 5 May 2018, 00:09 James W. MacDonald, <jmacdon at uw.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > I think there are multiple complaints here, so I'll take them one at a
>> > time.

>> and

>> another
>> >

>> > This is true for oligo, and perhaps a bit annoying. If you don't have
>> the
>> > package installed already, it gets the package, installs it, and then
>> says
>> > it's not available. This is an easy enough fix.
>> >

>> > After which using
>> >>

>> > I don't know what to do with that. What functions?

>> file
>> even
>> downloads a
>> >>

>> > That is an options setting that gets changed when you install Rtools.
>> The
>> > 'pkgType' option gets set to 'both' because you can now install both
>> kinds.
>> > And in install.packages it ends up getting switched from 'both' to
>> > 'source'. I haven't dug any further into that because I am not sure I
>> see
>> > why it's a problem. In the end there isn't a difference between
>> installing
>> > a source or a binary pdInfoPackage, and trying to get it to 'do the
>> right
>> > thing' might have some unforeseen consequences that I would rather not
>> have
>> > to worry about. This is really an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'
>> > scenario, IMO.

>> package,
>> the
>> >>

>> > I understand your frustration, but that's not enough to go on. I have
>> > never, in like 18 years, had either oligo or affy randomly segfault on
> [...]

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/