[Bioc-devel] Gviz Abandonware

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Fri Oct 20 09:28:48 CEST 2017

On 10/20/2017 03:00 AM, Dario Strbenac wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Gviz hasn't been updated for the past two months but has a CHECK warning and there are almost no answered questions on the support website in the past three months. Is it worthwhile developing plotting functions based on Gviz if it is likely to become defunct next year?

The title of your post is inappropriate.

Gviz is an excellent, well-maintained, and widely used package. The
maintainer is highly skilled, in the top tier of Bioconductor
developers. There is no reason for it to be withdrawn from Bioconductor.

Part of the joy of open-source software is participating in support and
maintenance -- why not tackle unanswered questions with your own best
effort? I find that answering questions is a great way to understand the
software I'm working with, especially if I intend to extend it.

Martin