[Bioc-devel] Why should Bioconductor developers re-use core classes?

Paul Joseph McMurdie joey711 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 04:19:46 CEST 2017

Thanks for those additional comments, Levi. I don't think you were being
unfair to phyloseq, and it sounds like some of the issues involved are
still relevant (e.g. new domain, new contributor).

I wanted to riff on Martin's comment about "incremental gain rather than
perfection". I imagine there are many reasons to use this as a guiding
principle, but one of them could be that it helps foster new-to-BioC
contributors by not overwhelming them with sub-critical requirements.
Interoperability is a feature that developers are already incentivized to
leverage, when they realize it, if they haven't buried themselves too deep
O:-). Similarly, after taking a peek at those developer docs, I think
buildingPackagesForBioC
<http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/buildingPackagesForBioc/> looks
pretty great, and I wish it had existed (or I had known about it) when I
unwittingly blundered these early decisions in phyloseq.

Thanks again for the discussion/feedback!

---
---
"Joey"
Paul J. McMurdie II