[Bioc-devel] Why should Bioconductor developers re-use core classes?

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Oct 19 18:53:10 CEST 2017

On 10/19/2017 10:12 AM, Levi Waldron wrote:
> Thanks for all your thoughts Joey, and I hope I didn't come across as
> critical of phyloseq in particular. In fact, the couple packages I created
> as a post-doc (doppelgangR and ffpe) did exactly the same thing, but unlike
> phyloseq have never been used enough for it to make much difference :).
> This comparison with phyloseq and metagenomeSeq is just one that I have
> personal experience with because I use both packages and it was something
> of a revelation to me when I realized that MRExperiment and all other
> eSet-derived classes would "just work" as elements of a
> MultiAssayExperiment. My motivation in making these slides was mainly to
> share my own very recent revelations and try to make life better for new
> package developers and their users.  A couple comments below:
>

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Paul Joseph McMurdie <joey711 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> - Hopefully it is obvious from my description, and also what I imagine to
>> be Levi's motivation for making the slide deck, but somehow new eager
>> developers are missing out on this great infrastructure and it isn't
>> because they want to re-implement core stuff. I sure didn't! I simply
>> didn't know what was there or best practices for BioC. *A "beginner's
>> guide to BioC package development"* would have been at the top of my list
>> of things to read back then.
>>

> I think this is still not abundantly clear from
> http://bioconductor.org/developers/ and I'm not sure how much it factors
> into the package review process. Would it be helpful to have a short
> questionnaire for creators of new packages that includes some things not
> part of R CMD BiocCheck, or CHECK, like - what new classes do you define,
> and what is the purpose of defining them?

[ should have mentioned that the slack channel is #tree-like-se ]

A couple of quick comments on new packages / reviews.

New package submissions have a checklist that people submit with their
package. Since it is not uncommon to find checked items that have not
been satisfied, I'm quite cynical about this as a way of enforcing good
behavior, though maybe it does something to elevate awareness.

One of the check-list items is acknowledge reading the package guidelines

   https://bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/

which include an S4 section

   https://bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/#classes

and links to general guidance

https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/efficient-code/#re-use-existing-functionality

as well as emphasis on core containers

   https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/commonMethodsAndClasses/

A relatively humorous pattern is for newer team members to eventually
lament that new packages don't re-use existing classes and methods,
suggesting that more documentation is the solution; usually the litany
above is cited, and the newer team member either tweaks or adds to the
existing documentation to the point that they think it is surely
satisfactory, or sees that more documentation is not an effective
answer. This pattern started again yesterday...

One thing that Joey said, and that I think is true of a lot of new
package contributors, is that they are 'new' developers. This is
somewhat ironic, since they are writing packages that are meant (and
sometimes are, as with phyloseq) to be widely used and influential; it
seems somehow appropriate to keep that channel open, with the domain and
other expertise that 'new' developers bring as a trade-off against the
sophistication of their current development skills. Of course being new
developers mean that they make both 'mistakes' and choices that are not
entirely consistent with the overall project, e.g., use of S3 or R6
rather than S4 classes, reimplementation of existing functionality,
adopting unfamiliar API conventions (a minor favorite of mine is the
presentation of a novel method for some aspect of differential
expression, with the primary input a matrix of samples x 'genes' rather
than the bioinformatics convention of 'genes' x samples). The diversity
of programming and analysis approaches available in R makes it not at
all surprising that the insights that can come even after many years of
working with Bioconductor are not accessible to many new package
contributors.

I'll also mention my own philosophy (which I sometimes emphasize with
other members of the core team of reviewers) in reviewing packages,
which is to seek incremental gain rather than perfection; sometimes
there are issues other than S4 class use (!) where greater strides can
be made.

Martin