[Bioc-devel] Why should Bioconductor developers re-use core classes?

Francesco Napolitano franapoli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 12:16:08 CEST 2017

I just converted my gene set data structures to GSEABase::GenSet
class. I think that one major advantage is that I just transferred the
burden of staying up to date with gene set formats to people working
specifically on that. If the file formats from the MSigDB change,
someone will work on updating the methods that import them to GeneSet
objects.

In general, there's someone in charge of a software module, and I'm
using both his original work, and his maintenance work.
P.S. the dark side: if they fail to maintain their code, yours will
fail too. I have been there.

Francesco