[Bioc-devel] Cannot move 'xps' to GIT

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Oct 12 19:40:44 CEST 2017

On 10/08/2017 01:37 PM, cstrato wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I wanted to update my package 'xps' and realized that I can no longer
> use 'svn commit'
>
> In order to use GIT I did the following:
>

> 1, I created a public key '~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub'
>

> 2, I did submit my 'SSH public key or github id to Bioconductor', using
> the 'git/svn transition: ssh keys' form.
>
> Here I entered my SVN user id, but it was not clear what my ID is.
> So I checked 'svn info' and used  first my name 'c.stratowa' as SVN user
> id.
> Since I did not succeed I repeated the procedure and used the UUID as
> SVN user id.
>
> Is this correct, or how do I get my SVN user id?
>

> 3, I created a new GitHub repository:
>
> https://github.com/cstrato/xps
>

> 4, Then I tried to clone the empty repository from GitHub. Here is the
> result:
>
> iMac:GIT cstrato$ git clone https://github.com/cstrato/xps.git
> Cloning into 'xps'...
> warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.
> Checking connectivity... done.
> iMac:GIT cstrato$ git clone https://github.com/cstrato/xps.git
> fatal: destination path 'xps' already exists and is not an empty directory.
> iMac:GIT cstrato$ cd xps
> iMac:xps cstrato$ git remote add upstream
> git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps.git
> iMac:xps cstrato$ git fetch upstream
> Permission denied (publickey).

there's a single public key associated with access to xps, ending with

   /m+bdjnFrDw5Fod8Sa9zDh2vXcICrNcxWGds2rbG3Q==

that should correspond to one of the public keys in your ~/.ssh/
directory. If not, resubmit the form with You can try

   ssh -v git at git.bioconductor.org

and try to diagnosis why this public key is not being matched; a
possibility is FAQ #15 where git is choosing the wrong key

   https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/faq/

> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.
>

> 5, I realized that I needed to add my public key to:
> https://github.com/settings/keys
>
> The email I got was:
> The following SSH key was added to your account:
> iMac
> df:2d:**:**:** etc

no, that doesn't look like an ssh key, it looks like a MAC address.

What's you're github user id? the link https://github.com/settings/keys
is only useful to you. My public key is at https://github.com/mtmorgan.keys