[Bioc-devel] R package with using rjava and java libraries exceeding the allowed size limit

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Fri Sep 16 00:55:33 CEST 2016

On 09/15/2016 05:15 AM, Eugenia Galeota wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m developing a package that uses some java libraries through rJava. The
> java libraries that I have compiled from source to create a single jar file
> with dependencies (size 85M) that exceeds the maximum size allowed for
> bioconductor packages. I noticed that in CRAN there is another package
> OpenNLP https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/openNLP/index.html using
> rJava where the JAR files are imported through a data package
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/openNLPdata/index.html. Do you
> think it is possible to use a similar approach for a Bioconductor package?

I'm not sure what the motivation was for creating a separate package for
the openNLP files; maybe licensing, attribution, or other
considerations. From the Bioconductor perspective it would make no
difference -- you'd be adding large binary files (the openNLP files are
7MB) to our svn repository, nightly builds, and external repositories
and the mirrors that various organizations have established.

I think you should critically assess whether the files you include in
the jar are actually necessary for the functionality you use, and that
the files are licensed appropriately for binary distribution.

What will your package do?

Martin Morgan