[Bioc-devel] Reset SVN repo to earlier state

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Wed Nov 16 11:51:36 CET 2016

On 11/16/2016 04:56 AM, Lukas Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to reset the devel branch of a package SVN repo / git
> mirror to an earlier state, or simply to delete the devel branch and start
> again from a copy of release-3.4?
>
> I made a mess in my SVN repo by trying to combine my previous git history
> (prior to Bioconductor acceptance) together with new commits from SVN in a
> single git branch. Unfortunately, at one point I dcommitted all the old git
> commits on top of the existing commits in the SVN repo, which was not a
> very good idea. Now the SVN repo appears to be stuck (possibly due to
> changes in the version number in DESCRIPTION).
>
> Ideally, I would like to just delete the whole devel branch and start again
> from a fresh copy of release-3.4, but I'm not sure if this can be done
> without manual intervention. Alternatively, if there is a way to reset to
> this earlier git-svn-id, that could also work:
> https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/regsplice@122712.
> All my work since then is backed up elsewhere, so I can recover everything
> from there.

You're making changes to the 'devel' branch, so the relevant build report is

   http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/3.5/bioc-LATEST/regsplice/

and the relevant landing page is

   http://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/html/regsplice.html

I mention this because you say the 'SVN repo appears stuck' but it
actually seems like, modulo the nightly builds, the package is
up-to-date with svn. Also the last svn revision was

r124171 | l.weber | 2016-11-15 19:21:04 -0500 (Tue, 15 Nov 2016) | 3 lines

so quite current. The Bioconductor-mirror choked on your multiple svn
commits in short succession; I have updated the mirror so it is in sync
again.

If you do want to 'start again' in svn, it is straight-forward to
'reverse merge' from a current to a historical revision. I did

   cd regsplice
   svn log|less

and then searched until I found the version bump that started the devel
branch, r122712. I then did the reverse merge

   svn merge -rHEAD:122712 .

and if that is where you want to start from, I'd bump the version to be
1.1.z, where z is larger than any z you've used for your package so far
(looks like the current head is 1.1.5, so that would be 1.1.6) and then

   svn ci

I don't really know how you would coordinate this in git and svn; I
think an easier strategy would be to get your git repo into the
condition you want, and then dcommit to svn. Personally, I find the git
/ svn interface so challenging that I do not use git for packages whose
cannonical repository is svn.

Martin