[Bioc-devel] Reset SVN repo to earlier state

Lukas Weber lukmweber at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:12:29 CET 2016

Thank you for the detailed reply. I think I have managed to fix it now.

Syncing the Bioconductor-mirror properly was actually the only major thing
required. For my local Git repository, I cloned a fresh copy (including
pre-Bioconductor history) from GitHub, created a new master branch from the
pre-Bioconductor history, and used 'git cherry-pick' to add all the new
changes since then into this new master branch. The final state of this new
master branch was now identical to the Bioconductor-mirror. Then I used
'git push --force' to put it back in my GitHub repo.

To check things, I added a version bump to the master branch, 'git
cherry-picked' it over to 'devel' branch, and 'git svn dcommitted' it.
Everything seems to be fine now; although there is a fairly long messy
history (~100 commits) in the SVN repo and Bioconductor-mirror (but I don't
think this matters). Reversing commits in SVN wasn't necessary in the end.

I think my main problem was trying to use 'git merge' instead of 'git
cherry-pick'. As long as I only use 'git cherry-pick' to move changes
between 'master' and 'devel', I can continue to use my original Git/GitHub
repo as my main development repo. I was also confused because this means
the SHA hashes are different between 'master' and 'devel', but again this
doesn't seem to matter. Earlier on I also tried some things with 'git
graft' and 'git replace', but this isn't necessary now.

Best regards,
Lukas

Lukas Weber
PhD student