[Bioc-devel] avoiding clashes of different S4 methods with the same generic

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Tue Apr 26 23:56:00 CEST 2016

On 04/26/2016 05:28 PM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
 > On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Martin Morgan
 > <martin.morgan at roswellpark.org>  wrote:

method with a
 >> >I like the dual dispatch method quite a bit (but wonder why we get
several
>> >swings but only one csaw? Maybe a csaw implies two participants [though I
>> >think I once in a while csaw-ed alone], so a singular csaw and a pair of
>> >swings balance out?), partly because it's very easy to extend (write another
>> >method) and the second argument can be either lightweight or parameterized.
>> >
> I could go along with the dual dispatch. "Swings" is short for "Set of
> swings". Usually, there are several swings in a row, but only one
> see-saw.

Googling for "how many swings per see-saw" took me to

   https://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/108601/playgrnd.pdf

where it is apparent that swings are much more dangerous than see-saws
(e.g., 51 matches for "swing" versus 4 for "see-saw"; "Swings ... were
involved in about 19 ... percent of injuries ... See-saws accounted for
about three percent"; "Homemade rope, tire, or tree swings were also
involved in a number of hanging deaths" [no mention of death by see-saw]).

I think for the sake of our users, especially our younger users, we do
not want to consider swings, or even methods on swings, further.

Martin