[Bioc-devel] Vignettes and package size

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Wed Apr 20 15:19:27 CEST 2016

On 04/20/2016 01:22 AM, Samuel Wieczorek wrote:
> Hi
> I am the developper of the packages DAPAR and Prostar. Each of these
> packages contains two vignettes : a user manual and an tutorial.
> As these documents contain screen shots, I have to join the images (png
> files) in the packages in addition of the Rnw and pdf files.
> Unfortunately, the size of my packages exceed the limit imposed by the
> Bioconductor guidelines.
>
> I know that at least one vignette is mandatory. I wonder if it is
> possible to put the entire user manual (source file, pdf file and
> images) and only the pdf file for the tutorial.

It's better to have more documentation than less, and it's better for
the documentation to exercise the software via embedded code chunks than
to become a snapshot of commands that once worked but do not now.

So I suggest leaving the vignettes as they are; the packages are not
greatly in excess of the Bioconductor guidelines, right?

Martin