[Bioc-devel] Vignette questions: location of html BiocStyle vignette, fake + real vignettes not necessary?

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fredhutch.org
Thu Oct 29 22:17:54 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----

I will let the BiocStyle maintainers answer this one.

> Currently, one of my vignettes takes a few min to render, which is why
> I followed ggbio's setup: fake empty vignettes + real ones and a
> Makefile making sure the correct vignette gets built. I thought that
> this trick saved time in R CMD check.
> I looked at "Writing R Extensions" and I think that such a trick only
> saves time when you run R CMD check on the source directory instead of
> the tarball created by R CMD build. So unless I'm forgetting
> something, this trick doesn't seem necessary at all given that
> Bioconductor runs build and then check (with --no-vignettes) on the
> tarball. Right?
> I guess that it was useful for me before when I would run lots of
> checks directly on the source code directory instead of building and
> checking.

Yes, these tricks don't save any time on the build system because although the build system runs
R CMD build on a directory, that directory is newly created every day so no cached files persist between builds. And then as you point out, R CMD check is run with the --no-vignettes option, and runs on a tarball anyway.

Dan