[Bioc-devel] Base class for interaction data - expressions of interest

Aaron Lun alun at wehi.edu.au
Mon Nov 16 11:31:33 CET 2015

Thanks for the comment Nadhir.

I had considered the use of a sparse matrix class. The reason I didn't
implement it originally is because truly sparse interaction data would
be better represented by just working with the pairwise format in the
InteractionSet. You need the row/column indices to pass to the
sparseMatrix constructor anyway; a memory-efficient algorithm to do, for
example, compartment identification could just use that directly.

Most existing algorithms for doing this (e.g., k-means/hierarchical
clustering) won't operate natively from a sparseMatrix, and I suspect
they'll just run as.matrix() and convert it to a full matrix. Obviously,
this would defeat the purpose of using a sparse matrix. So, if you have
to rewrite the algorithms anyway, you might as well rewrite them in a
manner that avoids needing the sparseMatrix() as a middleman.

Nonetheless, it's a good point about memory usage. I'll have a think
about it; sparseMatrix() would help a bit, but as coverage increases for
these experiments, the matrix will probably become fairly dense (even if
it's just counts of 1 for some bin pairs). Even now, for compartment
detection, fairly large bins are involved that sparseness usually isn't
observed. Perhaps big.matrix() might be a better choice.

Cheers,

Aaron