[Bioc-devel] Base class for interaction data - expressions of interest

Aaron Lun alun at wehi.edu.au
Mon Nov 16 12:46:57 CET 2015

While I'm on this point, there's another, more subtle issue with using
sparseMatrix(). Specifically, there's a distinction between zeros and
missing values when considering a ContactMatrix. For example, in Hi-C
data, a zero in the matrix means there aren't any read pairs mapping
between the corresponding bins. A missing value means that the count for
the bin pair is unknown, e.g., because that particular pairwise
interaction was missing from the InteractionSet during conversion.

This difference may be important in calculating correct statistics; one
can imagine situations where assuming all missing values are zero would
not be appropriate. In general, I would expect that missing values would
take up most of the matrix entries after conversion from an
InteractionSet. sparseMatrix() doesn't seem to support setting "NA" as
the default value to collapse a sparse matrix; it's fixed at zero, which
makes mathematical sense but isn't quite right for our purposes.

Now, this might not be so bad for count data, depending on how you
counted the reads into bin pairs; converting all NA's to zeros might be
okay in such circumstances, if the occurrence of those NA's in the first
place was due to the lack of reads. However, if you fill the contact
matrix with other metrics (e.g., log-FCs, average log-CPMs), assuming
that all missing values are zero would probably be incorrect.

Anyway, food for thought.

- Aaron