[Bioc-devel] doi (was Re: Short URLs for packages?)

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Mon Mar 23 19:39:59 CET 2015

Martin,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fredhutch.org>
wrote:

> On 03/23/2015 09:55 AM, Gabe Becker wrote:>> >Thus it is more likely that
> a person will do the right thing if it happens
> >> >
> > Bioc core team: This may be getting a bit off topic,  but has there been
> > any discussion of working with an organization likehttp://zenodo.org/
> > get DOIs assigned to Bioc packages on release? This could be for every
> > release or only for the initial inclusion in a Bioc release, but if they
> > are  version specific they would make citing, etc easier and more
> rigorous.
> > We could have a biocCite or figure out how to get citation to do the
> right
>
> Briefly and 'the last time I looked' if I recall correctly zenodo is a
> (static) repository that assigns DOIs, rather than a DOI-granting entity
> per se. DOI-granting agency per se charge a fee.

Happy to entertain corrections to my mis-belief.

I don't have any direct experience with zenodo, but their features page
seems to indicate that they do issue DOIs:

"Zenodo assigns all publicly available uploads a Digital Object Identifier
(DOI) to make the upload easily and uniquely citeable. Zenodo further
supports harvesting of all content via the OAI-PMH protocol."

They have the concept of project-level curated repositories, as well

"Zenodo allows you to create your own collection and accept or reject all
uploads to it. Creating a space for your next workshop or project have
never been easier. Plus, everything is citeable and discoverable."

Whether this would integrate well with Bioconductor's needs  or not - as we
obviously already have the repository aspect covered... - is not clear. I
was (and am) less advocating we specifically use/collaborate with Zenodo
and more that DOIs for packages would be a Good Thing (tm) that Bioc may
(or may not) have the clout and resources to manage.

~G