[Bioc-devel] R 3.3 for snow leopard

Nicolas Delhomme nicolas.delhomme at umu.se
Fri Apr 17 23:25:29 CEST 2015

Hej Leonardo,

I had the same doubts when Maverick came out, but eventually went for it. Since then, I have been running R and RStudio on OSX Yosemite - since Yosemite got out - and never had any problems. There are been some issues originally with Maverick but these are history. You might need to install some of the additional libs detailed at http://r.research.att.com/ depending on the packages you want to use and you will need XCode to be installed but that's it really.

What you need to be aware of, though, is if your Mac does not have an SDD drive but a classic harddrive you might experience a performance drop and at times very annoying lags after moving to Maverick or Yosemite. The performances of my older Mac (MacBook Pro from 2009 with an HDD) have significantly deteriorated since upgrading from Snow Leopard to Maverick to Yosemite. So much that I have/am considered/considering downgrading it. This is mere speculation, but I guess the newer OSX have not been developed and tested for "classic" harddrives, so I'm afraid that this situation is not going to improve.

HTH,

Nico

Nicolas Delhomme

The Street Lab