[Bioc-devel] New package available: flowcatchR!

Federico Marini marinif at uni-mainz.de
Wed Oct 15 16:12:51 CEST 2014

Dear Bioconductor Community,

I'm pleased to introduce you to the new package we developed, flowcatchR!

flowcatchR is a framework for tracking and analyzing flowing blood cells
in time lapse microscopy images.

flowcatchR provides a set of tools to analyze in vivo microscopy imaging
data, and was developed with a focus on tracking flowing blood cells.
flowcatchR guides throughout all the steps of bioimage processing, from
segmentation to calculation of features, filtering out particles not of
interest, providing also a set of utilities to help checking the quality
of the performed operations. We address the issue of tracking flowing
cells such as the ones in blood vessels, to categorize the particles in
flowing, rolling, and adherent by providing a comprehensive analysis of
the identified trajectories. The extracted information is then applied
in the study of phenomena such as hemostasis and thrombosis development.

This is the first toolbox to offer an automated, robust and efficient
solution for such scenarios, developed in the R/Bioconductor environment
to leverage on advanced statistical modeling and visualization
facilities. Our package extends the nice features already available in
EBImage, and allows for a complete kinematics analysis. We expect this
package to be potentially applied to a wide variety of assays founded on
time-lapse microscopy.

Of course I would be very happy to obtain suggestions concerning
improvements and any other feedback. Therefore, if you share a common
interest, I encourage you to test our package for your scenarios, and
also to recommend it to people working with time-lapse images.

flowcatchR link:
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/flowcatchR.html

Have a nice time with the new Bioconductor 3.0 and with flowcatchR!

Best regards,

Federico
--
*Federico Marini, M.Sc.*