[Bioc-devel] BiocStyle on windows with spaces in path names

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Oct 6 23:44:03 CEST 2014

Hi Steffen,

It looks like you are running R as an administrator, rather than as a
regular user (or you are on something really old like XP). By default R
should try to create a user-level library directory in your Documents
folder. It is probably not such a good idea to run R as administrator if
you are on a more modern version of Windows.

Note that system.file (which BiocStyle::latex()  calls to find the package
path) will in the case of base packages use .Library to construct the path:

> system.file()
[1] "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-31~1.0/library/base"

Which being an 8.1 path, will work for MikTex. But if I run as an
administrator and put BiocStyle in my Program Files library, I get

> latex()
\RequirePackage{C:/Program
Files/R/R-3.1.0/library/BiocStyle/sty/Bioconductor}

\AtBeginDocument{\bibliographystyle{C:/Program
Files/R/R-3.1.0/library/BiocStyle/sty/unsrturl}}

Which of course will fail. So the best option is to stop running R as an
administrator, and install packages in your Documents folder in a path with
no spaces.

Best,

Jim