[Bioc-devel] Bug tracker for Bioconductor?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat May 24 13:29:19 CEST 2014

On 05/23/2014 11:16 AM, Cook, Malcolm wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I'm sure you're watching this thread.....
>
> Can we take it as some "feedback from other developers" that you requested way back in https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2011-October/002854.html when I wished for similar....

I don't really have anything constructive to add to the thread.

 From a project perspective it would be great to have a centralized bug tracking
facility; there are many bugs, they are poorly tracked even by the most diligent
of us, and it would benefit users and developers alike to have a convenient way
to view our laundry.

Most off-the-shelf bug tracking systems are not designed to work under the
'federated' (I guess that's not the right technical description) model of
Bioconductor where there are a large number of individual projects, so
implementing a workable solution requires quite a lot of effort and / or ongoing
management. As we've seen with the rise of github and its use by even key
contributors to the project, it is very difficult to impose a central system on
our developers, even for such a key aspect as code management. Users are
similarly very difficult beasts to train, so their structured participation
would be inconsistent. While on the one hand bug tracking might seem like a
no-brainer for an experienced developer, it adds another hurdle (along with
mastering version control, the R package system, vignettes, ...) to potentially
discourage more novice developers who nonetheless are making valuable
contributions to the project.

Atlassian / Jira based internal bug tracking system and pursued it for about a
year, with the goal being to make it available generally if it seemed like it
would 'fly'. There was varied enthusiasm and participation within the group.
Perhaps I was less diligent than others; I found that my bugs were either
addressed before they got into the tracker, or entered the tracker as a place to
die. The bugs would die because they weren't of high enough importance or
clearly enough articulated to act on when they arose, and with the passage of
time their perceived importance and relevance declined. There were some
individual successes, where tracking a bug helped to coordinate input from
different people and to collate insights and proposed solutions into a focused
discussion, and where the bug tracker served as a kind of long-term memory bank
for issues that did eventually get addressed. Use of the tracker declined with
time, presenting an increasingly inaccurate representation of activity in the
project.

Martin