[Bioc-devel] Freezen download statistics for packages

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Oct 29 22:08:47 CET 2013

Hi Weijun,

On 10/29/2013 01:08 PM, Luo Weijun wrote:
> Dan,
> The numbers were either the same or just increased by 1-3 counts (almost the same). This increment in one week doesn’t make sense statistically for packages with hundreds of downloads per month. I have checked about 10 packages, not only mine. Anyway, the chance for all these packages get either none or just a few downloads in a whole week is almost 0.

Assuming downloads follow a Poisson model but they probably don't.
We just had a release (exactly 2 weeks ago). Hard to know what
the impact of the release on the day-to-day progression of the
downloads could be but it certainly has one. I've been watching
closely this day-to-day progression in October. During the first
3 weeks the stats were sky-rocking to a point that, if the trend had
confirmed, at the end of the month we would have ended up with more
than 30k distinct IPs for all the software packages together. Now a
few days ago, this trend suddenly changed and now the progressiuon
is very sluggish, much slower than for normal months. It looks like
in the end, October will still be a very good month but not a crazy
one like the initial trend seemed to indicate ;-)

I agree all this sounds weird. Needs more investigation...

H.

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences