[Bioc-devel] Freezen download statistics for packages

Luo Weijun luo_weijun at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 00:52:58 CET 2013

Hi Hervé,
Good to know that someone else had the same observation as me. Two people seeing the same issue is always more convincing than one..
Weijun

On Tue, 10/29/13, Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Freezen download statistics for packages

rg>
 Cc: bioc-devel at r-project.org
 Date: Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 5:08 PM

 Hi Weijun,

 On 10/29/2013 01:08 PM, Luo Weijun wrote:
 > Dan,
 > The numbers were either the same or just increased by
 1-3 counts (almost the same). This increment in one week
 doesn’t make sense statistically for packages with
 hundreds of downloads per month. I have checked about 10
 packages, not only mine. Anyway, the chance for all these
 packages get either none or just a few downloads in a whole
 week is almost 0.

 Assuming downloads follow a Poisson model but they probably
 don't.
 We just had a release (exactly 2 weeks ago). Hard to know
 what
 the impact of the release on the day-to-day progression of
 the
 downloads could be but it certainly has one. I've been
 watching
 closely this day-to-day progression in October. During the
 first
 3 weeks the stats were sky-rocking to a point that, if the
 trend had
 confirmed, at the end of the month we would have ended up
 with more
 than 30k distinct IPs for all the software packages
 together. Now a
 few days ago, this trend suddenly changed and now the
 progressiuon
 is very sluggish, much slower than for normal months. It
 looks like
 in the end, October will still be a very good month but not
 a crazy
 one like the initial trend seemed to indicate ;-)

 I agree all this sounds weird. Needs more investigation...

 H.

 > I tend to believe this is a global issue.
 > I didn’t check the overall stats, but I did check the
 popular packages including this one with thousands of
 downloads:
 > http://bioconductor.org/packages/stats/bioc/VariantAnnotation.html
 > The download seen today is 1916/30123. You may want to
 see how much is the change in then next update.

 wrote:

 >   Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Freezen
 download statistics for packages

 >   Cc: bioc-devel at r-project.org