[Bioc-devel] DEG data analysis

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Sep 10 02:46:21 CEST 2011

Dear Laura,

The edgeR package allows tests of any linear model hypothesis, including
the ability to conduct F-statistic-like tests for differences between
multiple groups.  See

   ?glmFit
   ?glmLTT

and the last Case Study in the User's Guide.  Here is a quote from the
introduction to the edgeR User's Guide (devel version):

"The package implements exact statistical methods for multigroup
experiments developed by Robinson and Smyth [2007, 2008]. It also
implements statistical methods based on generalized linear models,
suitable for multifactor experiments of any complexity, developed by
McCarthy et al. [2011]. Sometimes we refer to the former exact methods as
classic edgeR, and the latter as glm edgeR. However the two sets of
methods are complementary and can often be combined in the course of a
data analysis. Most of the glm functions can be identied by the letters
"glm" as part of the function name."

BTW, user questions like this are better send to the main Bioconductor
mailing list, which is much more active than this list.  This mailing list
is intended for package development issues.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
smyth at wehi.edu.au
http://www.wehi.edu.au
http://www.statsci.org/smyth