[Bioc-devel] will there be a rhesus base level annotation (.db0) package?

M.A. Bijl m.a.bijl at erasmusmc.nl
Wed Mar 18 16:17:16 CET 2009

Dear list,

We are using R and BioC to process and analyze Affy microarray data from
different species, namely human, mouse and rhesus macaque. I have a
question concerning the translation of probeset ids to (among other
things) gene symbols. Everything is fine and peachy using BioC 2.1, we
are happily using the available packages from BioC (for example
hgu133plus, mouse4302) and custom cdf packages from the brainarray
website (hs133phsensg, mamurhesusmamuensg etc). The environment
structure mapping affy ids to symbols and genenames was easy enough to
understand and recreate for chiptype 'rhesus' ('missing' in BioC 2.1)
and the custom cdf's where it was partly unavailable.

While looking into upgrading to BioC 2.3 problems arose. The packages
mentioned above don't exist anymore and I understand that design
decision. Fortunately, the procedure for getting annotation data from
the new .db packages hasn't changed. The underlying data structure
however changed dramatically.....Packages which are 'missing' are
rhesus.db and the ENSG custom cdf .db files (version 11) we prefer to
use. After quickly browsing through the AnnotationDbi and SQLForge
vignettes I think I should be able to create custom cdf .db files for
human and mouse chips. However, since rhesus.db0 does not exist, I don't
see any way to create a rhesus.db package or a custom version (with
ensembl ids pointing to gene symbols). My guess is that creating
rhesus.db0 myself is next to impossible....? Will such a package ever be
available?

Best regards,

Maarten

--