[Bioc-devel] Adding NAMESPACE file to packages (redux)

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 10 21:02:00 CET 2009

Bioconductor package maintainers,
This is a reissue of a message sent out earlier in the BioC 2.4
development cycle to remind those who haven't had time to add a
NAMESPACE file to your package to please do so before the release. As
Nishant pointed out below, namespaces help to ensure that your packages
use functions you intended them to use and export functions you expect
end users to have access to. For example, the IRanges and Biobase
packages both have generic methods for annotation and, setting aside the
design decision for this name conflict, this causes a handful of
packages to break because the wrong annotation generic is being chosen
during code execution. By importing the appropriate generic into your
package's namespace, you can avoid these types of issues.

There are currently 64 packages in the BioC 2.4 code line without
NAMESPACE files. If you or someone you collaborate with maintain one of
the following packages, please add the missing NAMESPACE files to help
lock down the packages so as to avoid issues like the one mentioned
above in the future:

 [1] "ABarray"            "aCGH"               "affypdnn"
 [4] "affyQCReport"       "annotationTools"    "apComplex"
 [7] "CALIB"              "convert"            "CORREP"
[10] "daMA"               "DEDS"               "diffGeneAnalysis"
[13] "EBarrays"           "ecolitk"            "factDesign"
[16] "fdrame"             "genArise"           "geneRecommender"
[19] "GeneSpring"         "GeneTraffic"        "GLAD"
[22] "goTools"            "GraphAT"            "Harshlight"
[25] "Heatplus"           "HEM"                "iterativeBMAsurv"
[28] "keggorth"           "lapmix"             "LBE"
[31] "limmaGUI"           "LMGene"             "LPE"
[34] "maanova"            "maCorrPlot"         "made4"
[37] "makePlatformDesign" "MantelCorr"         "maSigPro"
[40] "minet"              "MiPP"               "nudge"
[43] "OCplus"             "OrderedList"        "panp"
[46] "pickgene"           "plier"              "qvalue"
[49] "RankProd"           "RbcBook1"           "RLMM"
[52] "RMAGEML"            "rsbml"              "safe"
[55] "sagenhaft"          "SLqPCR"             "spikeLI"
[58] "sscore"             "ssize"              "stepNorm"
[61] "timecourse"         "twilight"           "weaver"
[64] "webbioc"

As mentioned in the previous e-mail, you can learn more about NAMESPACE
files in section 1.6 of the "Writing R Extensions"manual at the CRAN
website:

    http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Package-name-spaces

There is also an RNEWS article (#54) by Luke Tierney regarding NAMESPACEs at

    http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2003-1.pdf

as well as some helpful hints in Robert Gentleman's book.

    http://www.bioconductor.org/pub/RBioinf/

Thanks,
Patrick