[Bioc-devel] download stats

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Nov 25 20:25:14 CET 2008

Hi Hilmar,

Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the site looks great! Is the software that generates this available
> somewhere?

I'm glad you like them, thanks! We wrote our own Python scripts for
this. There are 2 scripts: one for importing the Squid logs into an
SQLite database and the other one for generating the HTML report.
We have no plan to make them widely available but I can send them to
you if you want. That would be "as-is", with no doc, and no customer
support ;-) Some tweaking would be needed to adapt them to your site.

> Coincidentally, I have been looking for this kind of thing on R-Forge at
> about the same time it came up here. I was told that the download stats
> facility on R-Forge has never worked and that that isn't going to change
> soon. I'm wondering what the prerequisites of your stats generating
> software are, and whether it could be made to work off of R-Forge with
> little or reasonable effort too.

The only prerequisite is to have access to the Apache or Squid log
files. Writing the scripts for generating those stats is not a big
deal (each of our script is about 400 lines of Python). But R-Forge is
is powered by GForge so it's probably a little bit more work for the
GForge developpers to add a "download stats" feature to their
software than for us to write 2 small scripts for internal use (then
they need to document/maintain/support the new feature and to make it
configurable enough to work with many different site setups and to
please everybody's taste...)

Cheers,
H.

--