[Bioc-devel] Requirment for a Vignette

Tue Sep 25 07:52:08 CEST 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 8:26 PM, Aedin Culhane wrote:

> Its useful to "browse packages" on the website and read the linked
> vignette to get a feel for functions in new or devel packages.  Whilst
> reading all of the man pages is one option.  The vignette is a nice
> "easy-access" documentation.

I am certainly a believer in vignettes - when they do something they
are good for: showing how all the functions in a package work
together in an analysis. If it is just a listing of simple commands,
I find them less useful.

In affxparser we have tried to use the "affxparser-package" man page
to convey an overview of the package (I am not saying we have
succeeded). I would find it less useful to add a vignette for this
particular reason - there is the need for overview and then we have a
selection of rather specific functions. Which a developer should be
able to read. We would rather improve the man pages than make up some
vignette that would just be a pdf version of some examples.

But as I said, for analysis packages it makes a ton of sense.

Kasper