[Bioc-devel] FYI: Windows build of affyPLM devel has been broken for a while

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Sun Sep 23 04:18:55 CEST 2007

Hi.

On 9/22/07, Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fhcrc.org> wrote:
> "Henrik Bengtsson" <hb at stat.berkeley.edu> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that someone (you) fixed it recently.  Thanks.  Yes,
> > spawning ghostscript in a parallel thread/process in the background is
> > not easy to control.  I've once tried to control for this by probing
> > the output file for existence and file size and when the file size
> > wasn't changing for a certain time, I let the code assume that it was
> > ready.  I cannot remember if also tried to have a dummy file generated
> > afterwards that could check for.  It was a while ago, but there are
> > some hacks you can do beyond Sys.sleep().
>
> Tom Short (responding off-list to my query on R-devel) also mentioned
> hacking bitmap to call ghostscript directly, and using Cairo / GDD
> (though Tom did not have direct experience in vignettes) which are
> faster than ghostscript. A solution in R would warrant more thorough
> approaches.
>
> > However, in the bigger picture, have you/it been discussed to have
> > failed vignettes not to generate an error/stop the build of the
> > package, and instead let R CMD check give the error?  Is that even
> > possible?  A big tryCatch() around the vignette compiler?  In some
>
> Not sure what the official position is on this, but vignettes serve,
> for better or worse, as a kind of integration test. Failed vignettes
> usually turn up meaningful errors. Of course a better practice would
> exploit formal test structures.

Yes, I am aware of that, but all other test cases are validated by R
CMD check not R CMD build.

I believe allowing vignettes to fail during build comes down to how
vignette is important for the service the package provides.  For
instance, I can definitely see how code and data (possibly not example
data but is currently no such separation) should be valid in order to
install a package.  Documentation, however, is not critical for a
package's operation.  To me a vignette is just another documentation
format just like the TeX, HTML, CHTML, man pages, ...

Don't get me wrong, I do believe packages should build and pass all
builds and checks without errors and warnings.

Cheers

Henrik