[Bioc-devel] FYI: Windows build of affyPLM devel has been broken for a while

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sun Sep 23 03:32:29 CEST 2007

"Henrik Bengtsson" <hb at stat.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that someone (you) fixed it recently.  Thanks.  Yes,
> spawning ghostscript in a parallel thread/process in the background is
> not easy to control.  I've once tried to control for this by probing
> the output file for existence and file size and when the file size
> wasn't changing for a certain time, I let the code assume that it was
> ready.  I cannot remember if also tried to have a dummy file generated
> afterwards that could check for.  It was a while ago, but there are
> some hacks you can do beyond Sys.sleep().

Tom Short (responding off-list to my query on R-devel) also mentioned
hacking bitmap to call ghostscript directly, and using Cairo / GDD
(though Tom did not have direct experience in vignettes) which are
faster than ghostscript. A solution in R would warrant more thorough
approaches.

> However, in the bigger picture, have you/it been discussed to have
> failed vignettes not to generate an error/stop the build of the
> package, and instead let R CMD check give the error?  Is that even
> possible?  A big tryCatch() around the vignette compiler?  In some

Not sure what the official position is on this, but vignettes serve,
for better or worse, as a kind of integration test. Failed vignettes
usually turn up meaningful errors. Of course a better practice would
exploit formal test structures.

Martin