[Bioc-devel] FYI: Windows build of affyPLM devel has been broken for a while

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Sun Sep 23 02:59:42 CEST 2007

Hi,

I noticed that someone (you) fixed it recently.  Thanks.  Yes,
spawning ghostscript in a parallel thread/process in the background is
not easy to control.  I've once tried to control for this by probing
the output file for existence and file size and when the file size
wasn't changing for a certain time, I let the code assume that it was
ready.  I cannot remember if also tried to have a dummy file generated
afterwards that could check for.  It was a while ago, but there are
some hacks you can do beyond Sys.sleep().

However, in the bigger picture, have you/it been discussed to have
failed vignettes not to generate an error/stop the build of the
package, and instead let R CMD check give the error?  Is that even
possible?  A big tryCatch() around the vignette compiler?  In some
sense a broken vignette is like a broken example in a Rd file - it is
not critical for the package, but for the documentation, which is
something for R CMD check to "complain about".

Cheers

Henrik