[Bioc-devel] FYI: Windows build of affyPLM devel has been broken for a while

Sun Sep 23 10:33:38 CEST 2007

On Sep 22, 2007, at 6:32 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:

> "Henrik Bengtsson" <hb at stat.berkeley.edu> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that someone (you) fixed it recently.  Thanks.  Yes,
>> spawning ghostscript in a parallel thread/process in the
>> background is
>> not easy to control.  I've once tried to control for this by probing
>> the output file for existence and file size and when the file size
>> wasn't changing for a certain time, I let the code assume that it was
>> ready.  I cannot remember if also tried to have a dummy file
>> generated
>> afterwards that could check for.  It was a while ago, but there are
>> some hacks you can do beyond Sys.sleep().
>
> Tom Short (responding off-list to my query on R-devel) also mentioned
> hacking bitmap to call ghostscript directly, and using Cairo / GDD
> (though Tom did not have direct experience in vignettes) which are
> faster than ghostscript. A solution in R would warrant more thorough
> approaches.
>
>> However, in the bigger picture, have you/it been discussed to have
>> failed vignettes not to generate an error/stop the build of the
>> package, and instead let R CMD check give the error?  Is that even
>> possible?  A big tryCatch() around the vignette compiler?  In some
>
> Not sure what the official position is on this, but vignettes serve,
> for better or worse, as a kind of integration test. Failed vignettes
> usually turn up meaningful errors. Of course a better practice would
> exploit formal test structures.

Somewhat tangential to this discussion: I have had cases where a
vignette segfaults and R CMD check still reports it as fine... I
think it was Rgraphviz quite a while ago - Herve was aware of it and
we reported it to R-devel but never got an answer. It is a while ago,
so I doubt we have a reproducible example.

Kasper