[Bioc-devel] All Package Maintainers Please README!

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Oct 26 20:21:10 CEST 2007

Marc Carlson wrote:
> You have a point Jim, but I think that we also have to consider how this
> blog will change what we put into our commit messages.  Prior to this, I
> have primarily used the 1st line as a "title" and then followed up with
> a more detailed description.  But the existence of this blog means that
> I will lean towards putting more information in the 1st section (rather
> than just a title), and just shift any private information into the
> second part.
>
> I am really just suggesting that a standardized format separated by a
> clean line break would be the least amount of typing by everyone
> involved.  I like this because at least at the fhcrc we are already
> using this format, so it's very similar and the format seems to work
> pretty well.

Yes, there are two of you at the Hutch who do this (now that Seth is
gone), and I think you both do a wonderful job of describing your commits.

However, none of the other developers do this, so your argument boils
down to expecting all of the other developers to take up this paradigm
rather than asking you to add a _single_ # to the beginning of a
paragraph in your commit message that you don't want published.

If BioC had a BDFL maybe he or she could decree such a thing, but as
things stand I highly doubt we could coerce all the developers to follow
your paradigm.

Best,

Jim

--