[Bioc-devel] All Package Maintainers Please README!

Florian Hahne fhahne at fhcrc.org
Fri Oct 26 20:02:07 CEST 2007

Marc Carlson schrieb:
> James W. MacDonald wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I like this idea, mainly because it is a passive
>> filtering on the part of the package maintainer, and a pretty big
>> assumption on my part.
>>
>> Something active like adding an INTERNAL or as Oleg mentioned, a # at
>> the beginning of the line signals to me that the maintainer really
>> wants this stuff filtered out, whereas only taking the first line
>> requires the assumption that the maintainer really only wanted the
>> first line to be public.
>>
>> Also note that a line in this instance is demarcated by a newline
>> character, so as long as you don't hit the return key, any number of
>> sentences will be filtered by a single INTERNAL or #, so it shouldn't
>> be burdensome to filter things out.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm not sure we should be filtering this stuff out regardless.
>> As an example here are some recent commit messages:
>>
>> First from Biobase:
>>
>> esApply for ExpressionSet
>>
>> * made esApply(X, MARGIN, FUN, ...) a generic
>>
>> * method for exprSet same as previous functoin esApply
>>   (inappropriately modifies FUN environment, breaking lexical scope)
>>
>> * method for ExpressionSet equivalent to
>>
>>   with(pData(X), apply(exprs(X), MARGIN, FUN, ...))
>>
>> * Documentation to follow shortly
>>
>> Or from AnnotationDBI:
>>
>> Remove bad constraint from probes table on chip packages
>>
>> This change only affects packages for rodents and humans.  It drops
>> the not null constraint from the accessions collumn which is
>> problematic since lousy platforms will sometimes have probes that are
>> measuring "who-knows what".  Users ought to have a right to know when
>> they are using a probe like this...
>>

>> Do you really want to argue that the first line in these messages is
>> all that should show up in the changelog? In both cases the first line
>> is pretty cryptic, but the second line is actually quite useful.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> Martin Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> Jim --
>>>
>>> I was actually writing identical sentiment (from across the hall), so
>>> there's a second vote for just the first line (and filtering empty
>>> first lines). Martin

> You have a point Jim, but I think that we also have to consider how this
> blog will change what we put into our commit messages.  Prior to this, I
> have primarily used the 1st line as a "title" and then followed up with
> a more detailed description.  But the existence of this blog means that
> I will lean towards putting more information in the 1st section (rather
> than just a title), and just shift any private information into the
> second part.
>
> I am really just suggesting that a standardized format separated by a
> clean line break would be the least amount of typing by everyone
> involved.  I like this because at least at the fhcrc we are already
> using this format, so it's very similar and the format seems to work
> pretty well.

> [...]
This would make the commit messages less flexible compared to using a
comment character. I often check in changes for several different things
at once and it is way easier to read (and type) something like

  some change on foo
  # need to fix the docs for this guy
  bar can now handle....
  # but still can't...

This way I can comment the individual parts directly whereas if we
separate internal and public stuff into two sections I have to reference
again in the internal part what I'm talking about.
Florian