[Bioc-devel] RFC: read.AnnotatedDataFrame

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Thu May 24 20:14:24 CEST 2007

I would prefer not to drop the widget option, even if all we do is to
say there is not one - please let us know that you want one. We should
avoid changing signatures unless it is really necessary - and this seems
to be aesthetic not semantic.

If you really want to help the Excel folks out, then you would use
COM/DCOM to pull it directly from Excel, rather than force them to save
as a file etc. I think it is quite straightforward and there have been
several examples on the mailing list recently.

best wishes
   Robert

Wolfgang Huber wrote:
> Dear Vince,
>
>>> Frankly, if people can prepare a file easily with MS Excel and then call
>> is it a single file?  the annotated data frame should have several
>> components including pData, featureData, varMetadata?  (apologies
>> if i am misremembering the structure)
>>

> Yes, that's the point :)
> read.AnnotatedDataFrame2 suggests a simple way how people can prepare a
> single file in Excel (or Openoffice,...) that includes pData and
> varMetadata. These are the components of an annotatedDataFrame.
>
> I believe you may have confused this with ExpressionSet, which has two
> annotatedDataFrames in it, one for arrays and one for features.
>
> Comments on the current prototype and its man page are welcome.
>
> Best wishes
>  Wolfgang

Robert Gentleman, PhD
Program in Computational Biology